Monday, November 17, 2014

Your true colors

Last weeks post was a bit on the serious side, so I've decided to lighten things up with this post.

A few weeks ago I did something fun that I want to share with you.

One thing you may not realize about letting your hair go natural is that colors that used to look good on you might not anymore.  A change in hair color, especially if you are transitioning from dark dyed hair, will effect your skin tone.  Color and tone that used to enhance your complexion might now make you look sallow and tired.

I have understood that on an intellectual level for some time now, but have never really done anything about it.  When I read how the author of Going Gray went to an image/color consultation after she let her hair go natural, I decided I wanted to give it a try.

Unfortunately, living in my small town severely limited my options.  So, I did what I usually do in such cases and turned to the internet.

A few options popped up but I was immediately drawn to a website called Faith Meets Fashion.  This site is home to Shari Braendel, whose mission it is to encourage women to find their inner beauty while educating them on how to enhance their outer beauty, all from a faith-based perspective.  

That faith-based perspective really appealed to me.  Fashion can be a huge challenge for those of us who want to look stylish without giving in to immodest, revealing clothes.

Shari has several courses and webinars available which I am looking into for future reference, but for now I started with her color analysis service.

The process was simple.  I only had to answer a few questions as to my hair color, eye color, etc.  Once that was finished, my analysis popped up for free.  If I had wanted to, I could have stopped there.

However, for a small fee I could order the corresponding color swatches and more importantly, I could have an accuracy check with Shari to make sure my analysis was correct.  With the average cost for an image consultation running about $150.00 per hour, $24.95 is a bargain.


Not long after, my swatches arrived in the mail along with a helpful explanation of the best way to use the colors on my body.  I am a Cool, which means anything I wear should have a blue undertone.  Browns and golds are not my friends and muted colors will wash me out.  Silver is my best accessory.  

Armed with my new tool, the first thing I did was head into my closet to see how my current wardrobe stacked up.  I was surprised to find I had a substantial amount of clothing that needed to go.  I have to admit that part was a little painful.  Some of my favorite pieces were in the wrong color palette and I didn't want to part with them.  It 's kind of amazing how emotionally attached we can get to our clothing.  Having made the commitment to the process, however, I just swallowed and put the offending pieces in the charity box.  

Next came the fun part.  My swatches and I went shopping.  
I admit I'm not the greatest selfie taker, but hopefully you'll get the idea.  

Here is the first outfit I put together. It's pretty simple but I just wanted to test out how the colors looked on me.  
I loved the colors in the blouse. They perfectly matched the swatches in my kit and really did compliment my skin tone.  

The pants were sooooo cute but I wasn't too sure about slapping polka dots on my J-Lo booty.  What do you think??

I decided to try something a little more toned down.  I like them from the front, but you know with pants...

it's all about that base.  Hmmm, still not sure.

One more try in black.  Not bad, but the color doesn't really do much for the blouse.  

I guess I'm just a jeans kinda gal.  I went home with this sweater and the blouse.  The jeans and the scarf were already mine.  

I'm still thinking about the navy polka dot pants.  They are kind of calling to me.  

All in all it was a great day.  I felt confident and happy with my purchases and best of all, they still looked great when I got them home.  It has happened to me too many times that I have thought something looked great in the store only to get it home and hate it.  

My swatches are a great tool. I keep them in my purse so I'll have them whenever I go shopping.  It's like carrying around my own personal image consultant.  

Do yourself a favor.  Be sure to check out Shari's site.  She has some great information and tools available.  

I put links to her blog and color analysis on my side bar under Blog Love.  

P.S. The opinions in this post are completely my own.  Shari did not solicit me in any way. I have received no financial rewards or services of any kind for this review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment